Uprooted


I may be selling my house and the "established cottage garden" that goes with it, but I won't be leaving all my plants.  As a practical matter, my perennial beds are over planted and desperately in need of editing and plant-division.  As a sentimental matter, I just can't bear to leave behind some of my favorites.

Having procured a large number of empty pots, I've embarked on the task of digging up the ones to take along.  First off, I'm taking many of the plants my dear friend and gardening mentor, Alice, gave to me:
  • heirloom herbaceous peonies
  • blue delphinium
  • a variety of day lilies -- short and tall
  • beige fall mums
  • bearded iris -- yellow and purple
  • 'Jacob Kline' Monarda
  • Doronicum (Leopard's bane)
  • Astrantia (pink masterwort)
  • pink and purple perennial campanulas
 And then there a few others that I've grown too attached to to part with:
  • akebia trifoliata
  • Lenten rose
  • herbaceous peonies 
  • 'Grand Duke' tree peony
  • hostas
  • 'Diablo' nine bark
  • 'President' clematis
  • goldenrod
  • Japanese anemones
  • 'David' tall white phlox
  • drumstick allium
Don't worry though, my flower beds are still filled with anemones, hydrangeas, coreopsis, climbing roses, akebia, hollyhocks, salvias, hebes, iris, campanulas, sedums, asters, and mums, plus a few mints, lavendars, and tons of shasta daisys and lilies of all sorts.  Of course, the lilacs, calycanthus, smoke tree, red twig dogwoods, euphorbia, and ornamental grasses all stay.  And then there's the prolific plum tree, the river birch, the crab apple . . . .

Seriously, what first-time home buyer normally gets a garden like this?

Comments

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking time to leave a note.

Popular posts